Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revision Management of components and Diagrams in Hopex

jsjimenez_br
MEGA Partner
MEGA Partner

Hello friends, how are you?
I would like to open a subject that is the revision management of components and diagrams in Hopex. I believe that everyone who uses a relevant volume in the repository knows how important and vital this is for EA governance. Can you let me know how you are handling this issue?
Do you use variants?
Have they been working properly?
How have you handled the comparison between the variants?
Can you compare non-sequential versions?

I am very grateful for the information and I am open to sharing our experiences. Thanks.

3 Replies

Hi,

Did you consider the Merge function ? However, you will lose the history on the new object when a duplicate is created.

AHassan_1-1687776233131.png

Hi Ben

Doing the duplication how do you replace the old object with the new one after the new one is approved. That was a point where we ruled out that possibility. Regards

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@jsjimenez_br This is a great topic.   We often get asked for "version management" by our users.   We do NOT use the Variation or Version concepts as we don't think they give us what we need and seem complicated to use.  Instead, we ask users to use object duplication mechanism.   But even that has lots of limitations and does not give us everything we need. Although, recent enhancements to object duplication do make it more useful. For example, when duplicating Application object, you can duplicate scenario diagrams, not just 'structure' diagrams.  

Our users are looking for ability to find or possibly revert to previous version of a diagram.   But, HOPEX is not a file-based tool - and you can't just revert to previous version of a diagram file, like you can in Visio or Gliffy.

Its a tricky topic and I'm not sure there are simple answers yet.