cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position Type versus Org-Unit for Modelling IT Architecture

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

Hello,

In IT Architect desktop, Org-Unit is a "reference" object - meaning it can be used- but not created or deleted.

On the other hand, Position Type object can be created and deleted by IT Architects.

However, they are very similar concepts - and its not clear when to use one vs. another.

This is the definition from ITA module documentation:

BenAvdicevic_0-1687353839336.png

I am not clear how to interpret this difference.  Both can represent "individual or a group".  Both can be used to represent department or some organizing structure.

For example, lets say I have a Business Application ABC, and I want to model the "Application ABC User" and "Application ABC Admin" roles.  

• Application ABC User - represents all users of the application
  • Application ABC Admin - represents the few users who have admin access

So, how do I model this in my application architecture diagrams (e.g. Scenario of Application Environment flows)?  With and Org-Unit  or with Position Type called "Application ABC User"  ?

For context, these are the two modeling options I'm referring to:

BenAvdicevic_1-1687354129460.png

Any help to think about this clearly would be appreciated.

2 Replies

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@PBessodes Thank you very much. That is helpful.

Your explanation is a lot clearer than the documentation.   

PBessodes
MEGA
MEGA

Hello,

An Org-Unit defines a structural element of organization that can be decomposed.
A Position Type defines a job (generally held by person).

Finance Department is an Org-Unit, Financial Director is a Position Type
Finance Department is structured by sub Org-Units like Accounting, Administration etc.. Financial Director is the leaf of a branch in such structure.

An Org-Unit is a reference object for each architect and can only be managed by functional administrator
A position type is not managed as strictly as its management represents a huge workload and only relevant position types are necessary by IT architects. More other, it can be used to define application "profile" or user type to better document or specify an application. IT architects need to be able to manage this object.

Regards