cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the extent of duplicating an object ?

acanicio
Super Contributor

Hello everybody,

If I duplicate an object within MEGA's metamodel, does it duplicate also its descendants ?

I need to create a new metamodel with new metaclasses and other attached objects.
In order to display them I want to duplicate the Technical Infrastructure Diagram Type and add metaassociations to it.

Are the descendants of the diagram type (DiagramTypeParam, etc) also duplicated or are they just links to the existing ones ?
Is there an impact on the existing descendants if I modify the new ones ?

Thank you
Best regards
Axel

2 Replies

acanicio
Super Contributor

Thank you Jerome for your answer,

In the attached screencap you can see I duplicated the "Technical Infrastructure Diagram" to "DSI_Diagramme_Infrastructure".

Copie_Diagramme_Infrastructure.jpg

The issues are that :

1 - The copy/paste action just copies the link to an object and not the object itself.

2 - All the descendants created in the duplication process are just links to the existing ones. 

I've seen this when I renamed one of the descendands (the Technical Infrastructure Diagram ParamType).
It also renames the original one in the original DiagramType.

3 - There is no "duplicate" function for its descendants. That means that I have to manually create them...
Is there an "automatic way of doing it", so I can just edit the ones I actually need ?
How can I "Tune" the duplicate function ?

Thank you again
Best regards

Axel

jhorber
MEGA
MEGA

Hello

Duplication process is highly tunable so all scenarios exist.

Usually the idea is to duplicate also components.

Depending on the case they can be duplicated or reused (usually not recommended, can be wise for item such as org-units). 

Jerome