cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Import - if an object does not exist, it creates a new object. How to disable that?

simikadampatta
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to import data into HOPEX using Excel Import Wizard.

I need to update the value of 'Application Rating' using the 'Short Name' of Application.

Suppose an application for that value of Short Name does not exist in HOPEX, it creates a new object with that name and updates the value. How can we disable this option? I just want data to be updated for existing objects.

3 Replies

The default import Excel considered that if :

• there is an Identifier this is an update
  • there is no identifier this is a create with an update on fields provided

In you case just do an export of the list of object and put back this list with the ID of the object. In that case you will have only object to edit.

TDucher
Super Contributor

For what I know it is not possible to disable or change this behavior.

The Excel export/import tool is on my point of view a little not powerful enough 😞

The only way I found in the past to have different/better behaviors is to not use the excel standard tool and to develop/include VB macros in an excel file to really get what I wanted.

hsoegaard
MEGA Partner
MEGA Partner

I dont think you can disable that - this is expected behaviour from the Excel Import. If you need to only update existing Application you should rely on the Absolute Identifier. You can do that by first exporting your applications, including the Attributes you would like to update. When re-importing, you will only update existing applications (if you have not manually addedd additional applications in the excel file).