cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System import goes into the public workspace instead of the private workspace

varkonyib
Super Contributor

In HOPEX v4 we could import object using MGR into a private workspace, check the results, and then decide if we dispatch or discard.

However, in HOPEX v5 the import ignores the private workspace and goes directly into the public workspace without even asking...

This is really unacceptable:

--- it is not possible to discard if the import was not perfect

--- it is not possible to see the changes in a dispatch and assign them to a work item

-- it disables the possibilities to aggregate scattered customizations through multiple years and customizers into a consistent cleaned-up installation package.

Does anyone have an idea how to import MGR files into a private workspace and then see all imports in a single dispatch???

12 Replies

You have not repeated my case. You should dispatch after the import and check if the imported object is included in the dispatch. It is not there in my case. And of course, we have a different patch level. I have only CP5 currently.
I will ask my colleagues for installing the latest patch...

KennethB
MEGA
MEGA

@varkonyib 

I believe the behaviour you want is achieved by selecting the Log Updates option

KennethB_0-1690428037625.png

This will include the imported item(s) in the log, so will be available as expected in the Dispatch.

Hello, I am from the German operation, which is in close contact with Frequentis directly. I see your concern and I think we have reached the moment at which a case opening appears very meaningful. This will automatically involve support, who will do a systematic investigation with specialized tools, and everything will be tracked and managed properly. Can I therefore ask you or one of your colleagues to open such a case / ticket in our support system? I will be notified and then take care of it personally. Thanks a lot for your help. 

Hello @varkonyib ,

I have performed the following action with HOPEX V5 CP6 HF2

•  connected to HOPEX.exe
  • created a "business process"
  • exported it as an MGR file (excluding propagation)
  • closed HOPEX.exe without dispatching
  • opened HOPEX.exe 
  • the object is not there
  • imported the MGR by the menu File>>Import>>HOPEX File
  • I see the object imported
  • closed HOPEX without dispatching
  • opened HOPEX.exe
  • the object is not there

I do not reproduce your case. There can be several reason:

1. We don't have the same version and this is a specific behavior to the version you have
  2. I don't use the right MetaClass that only this one produce the problem
  3. I don't have the right operating mode to reproduce the problem.
  4. There is something specific to your environment.

Can you please provide more details ? 

• steps your perform and screenshots

What I can recommend you to do is to raise a case to MEGA support support@mega.com 

I have share with MEGA CSM Team you frustration. Hopefully they will contact you shortly to see how you can better handle evolution of V5.

Some screenshot :

oguimard_0-1690279446616.png

oguimard_1-1690279479138.png

oguimard_2-1690279515702.png

varkonyib
Super Contributor

I would prefer not the have some backward incompatible changes without any notifications for such an expensive software. We wanted to take this software as a strategic tool, but we have way too many unpleasant surprises. The documentation is also very limited. I have to do intensive reverse engineering and a lot of trial and errors to make this platform somewhat usable. In the RFP phase we were promised a lot, and now the delivery is very far from it. We also do not get proper support... So sometimes I lose my patience. Sorry, for not being a robot...

There is nothing special. I just start the Import action from the Windows Client. Then I pick up the MGR file. Press the button.
I have even made a test with a single object. Export it, then delete it, then import it. You can easily repeat this.
If I create the object manually, then I can dispatch it.

If I import the same object, then I cannot dispatch it, since it goes into the public workspace without leaving any trace of change or dispatch.
Just try it out and you will see the behavior.
I use the out-of-the-box Customizer profile. Nothing special.

I would prefer to have an option to import into my private workspace and then generating change and dispatch objects from the import action.

Hello @varkonyib ,

I read from you responses some frustation. To help us provide you with more accurate answers we need more precise details of the problem. 

>>> Does anyone have an idea how to import MGR files into a private workspace and then see all imports in a single dispatch???

Can you share screenshots of the steps you are following and share potential logs files ?

I can make assumptions from your others post but I rather be certain of the answers I share with you.

This is a public forum where we try to help each other by sharing our knowledge and experiences. I would really appreciate that we should always choose correct words and avoid Negative tones - thank you. 

varkonyib
Super Contributor

I guess, you have never ever used the Import feature from MGR and XMG files. What you are writing has nothing to do with the reality. In V4 and import was put into my private workspace and generated a dispatch. In V5 it goes directly into the public workspace and does not generate a dispatch, but not even changes. It restores the original changes that were there before (even after deletion it comes back). So I cannot really make a proper deletion for a new import, since the original creation always comes back.
This behavior is totally useless for me. At least, I would be able to change between the various modes.
By the way, we do customizations on separate workstations, so we have plenty of CPU and RAM. This is never a bottleneck.

All the replies are useless.

I do work in a private workspace as a Customizer. When I do manual changes everything is properly put into a dispatch and can discard as I please. However, when I import a MGR or XMG file, then it does not go into a dispatch as it should, but directly goes into the public workspace without leaving any traces of the import. There is no change, there is no dispatch.
That means that I cannot create a clean Work Item and then an installation package.
Since our customizations spans two years mixed with other modules, the modifications are scattered around hundreds and thousands of changes and dispatches. It is simply not feasible to create a work item out of those.
Export and import into another environment could solve this problem if it were put into my private workspace.
This was a horrible change and I would like to reverse it.
Is there any way to configure the platform to import into my private workspace?