cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create the same MetaAttribute for another MetaClass

ELargant
Super Contributor

My point is an extension of the subject:

http://community.mega.com/t5/Technical-Product/Several-text-types-for-an-object/m-p/4938/highlight/f...

I have created a new Text type as explained in the topic (see URL above) and it works perfectly (MetaAttribute "Short Description" with type "VarChar" and format "RTF").

Now I would like to connect this MetaAttribute to another MetaClass.

I click on the "New" icon and rewrite the same name of the MetaAttribute: MEGA tells me that this MetaAttribute has already been created; which is normal for me.

I decide to use the "Connect" icon but unfortunately this one is disabled.

How can I reuse a MetaAttribute in that case?

Do I need specific rights to be able to use the "Connect" icon?

Regards

Emmanuel

2 Replies

jhorber
MEGA
MEGA

Hello Elargant

Connecting the same text MetaAttribute to several MetaClass is technically possible event though it is not allowed by all user interfaces. At least this this is possible using command files.

The important criteria is the semantic. The new text text MetaAttribute should have a specific meaning.

Ex: text 'Implementation' to document the instruction for implementation.

This meaning should be valid for each MetaClass to which it is connected.

Certain features (ex: metamodel filter) do not enable to manage each use case separately:

Ex: if the text 'Implementation' is connected to both MetaClass 'Package' and 'Class', you cannot configure this:

• Display the text 'Implementation' for the MetaClass 'Package'
  • Do not display the text 'Implementation' for the MetaClass 'Class'
Jerome

jyherpet
Retired

Hello Emmanuel,

you can try to link the MetaAttribute to your MetaClass by right-clicking on MetaAttribute folder and select Link option.

Another way is to explore your MetaClass and link the MetaAttribute like explained above.

Best regards,
Jean-Yves