cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advisor Read-Only Mapping for Windows Authentication

rliewlihoe
New Contributor

Hi,

We plan to apply Windows authentication for every Advisor user. It works perfectly fine for the Edit user.

However, when we try to perform the same for Read-Only users, the following scenario occurs:

In Web User Mapping Tool, on Read-Only Mapping tab, 'Connection in Session Mode', user password is required, i.e. MEGA / Windows before the login works

This in fact defeats the purpose of having Windows authentication, as the intention is asking user to key in the Windows login username and password without Advisor Administrator's knowledge.

Appreciate your urgent assistance in this.

Thanks.

4 Replies

Hi Rachael and Tobias,

I would love to get that piece of code as well.

Would you share it with me?

francois.boulart (at) objectify.com.au

Cheers,

f

aaitqlila
MEGA
MEGA

Hi,

This is a normal behavior, development choice. in fact there is difference between the two access mode available in advisor :

1-      Connection in session mode :

The authentication is managed by the mapping tool, if there is a password it must be set and stored in the file MappingDatabase. That explain the fact that it works when you enter the password of your windows user in the mapping tool.

2-      Direct connection in transaction mode :

The authentication is managed by MEGA, the password will be checked when connecting to MEGA Web Editor Functionality of MEGA Advisor by checking MEGA Authentication.

Regarding your requirement to use the windows and login password to connect to advisor  either in session or transaction mode  there are two possibilities :

1-The configuration available in  standard is LDAP authentication .

The authentication is managed by an LDAP Directory. When logging on to Advisor, the end user must enter his Web User name and his LDAP

password, which will then be authenticated against the LDAP directory via the Mapping tool.

The advantage of this solution is that you are not required to store and remember passwords ad the authentication is carried out by LDAP. if the password is changed in LDAP, you do not need to change your password in the Mapping tool or in MEGA. Consistency is assured.

2- You can also bypass the standard authentication. This requires a specific integration (customized code) which will not be maintained by MEGA in future versions .

Aicha

Hi tdeeg,

Thank you for the reply. Can you share the code to me at Rachael_Liew_Li_Hoe@bat.com ?

Appreciate your kind assistance.

Regards,

Rachael.

tdeeg
Super Contributor

Hello rliewlihoe

we had the same issue trying to apply Windows authentication, forcing the read-only user to type username and password. What we did was to enhance the advisor aspx login files to use the IIS Authentication to log in the user automatically when connecting to advisor.

In my opinion this should be an improvement request to Mega for implementing this feature in the standard.

If you are interested in sharing the code for our implementation, please PM me.

Best regards

Tobias