cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are HOPEX service catalogs exactly?

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I am trying to better understand HOPEX Service Catalogs.

I have read the documentation.  But, I still have some question.

For example,  Is HOPEX "Busines Service" catalog item supposed to be similar to what TOGAF calls Business Service?  

Similar questino to Application Service and Technology Service ?

Seems that HOPEX goes beyon TOGAF - as these two do NOT exist in TOGAF:

• Information Service
  • Hardware Service

Lastly,

From Archimate perspective, it too has similar concepts as behavior elements:

• Business Service
  • Applicaiton Service
  • Technology Service

Furthermore, in Archimate - service elements can be used in diagrams (e.g. Service Realization Viewpoint)

Does HOPEX allow use of Services in Diagrams ?

1 Reply

SergeThorn
Super Contributor

As I wrote a while ago, I'm not sure that the HOPEX "Busines Service" catalog is correct. A Business Service Catalog must include Business Services and not Business Capabilities which is something different (if you add an item in a Business Service Catalog, the pop up window suggest a Business Capability...and the weid thing is that the documentation says:

HOPEX IT Architecture V2 offers the following service catalogs: • technical service catalogs, & A business service catalog provides a centralized information source for the business services offered by the service provider organization. It contains a customer-oriented view of the services associated...

But I haven't found any Business Services metaclass...

To reply to your questions:

For example,  Is HOPEX "Busines Service" catalog item supposed to be similar to what TOGAF calls Business Service?  

This should be the case but it does not seems to be implemented.

Similar questino to Application Service and Technology Service ?

The Application Service is equivalent in TOGAF to the Information System Service.

Seems that HOPEX goes beyon TOGAF - as these two do NOT exist in TOGAF:

• Information Service
  • Hardware Service

The Information Service Catalog is also completely obscure to me. I do not agree on the documentation "Implementation of a service catalog"

An information service catalog provides a centralized information source for the information services offered by the service provider organization. It contains a customer-oriented view of the information services used, how they are supposed to be used, the processes that they support as well as the expected service quality level. The information service catalog presents the list of functionalities mentioned as well as implementation recommendations.

An information service catalog item defines which functionality is in the catalog and which application artifacts provide the functionality.

Here again, Information Service as a metaclass is not implemented and It is not for me a Functionality....

I haven't considered Hardware Services, however the Technical Services are something you can implement and similar to the TOGAF TRM. You develop a TRM Catalog/map and include your Technical Services like in TOGAF.

Lastly,

From Archimate perspective, it too has similar concepts as behavior elements:

• Business Service
  • Applicaiton Service
  • Technology Service

Furthermore, in Archimate - service elements can be used in diagrams (e.g. Service Realization Viewpoint)

Does HOPEX allow use of Services in Diagrams ?

There is an ArchiMate module that I'm going to test in the next few weeks, currently installing it. I will check if that type of diagram is included in the module.
I haven't seen any Service Diagram  but I assume you can build one with Report Studio.

Regards