cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopex modeling

SergeThorn
Super Contributor

How to model Hopex ?

This may sound a bit weird…but how would you do that? Hopex has a series of modules such as Data Governance, IT Business Management, Business Process Analysis, etc…

• I would maybe not consider them as different applications and neither as an application system because I cannot deploy independently each module, but this can be challenged...
  • I would not define them as functionalities because functionalities are linked to each module
  • Should I consider IT Services for each module, would that be correct?
  • Any other views?

In the meantime I came with this...thoughts?

• Application : Data architecture governance,   Software Technology : Hopex Data Governance
  • Application : Business process management ,  Software Technology : Hopex Business Process Analysis
  • Application : Data protection (RGPD) , Hopex Privacy Management
  • Application : Internal developped application , Software Technology : Hopex

Thanks for your inputs and recommendations.

Kind regards

2 Replies

SergeThorn
Super Contributor

Great reply, thank you. The view point between an architect and an application portfolio manager is perfectly meaningful. 

I have to think now which approach is the most appropriate for my organisation.

Kind regards

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@SergeThorn great question!  

There are several ways to think about this.    First,  there is a "modeling perspective".   How would Solution Architects prefer to model HOPEX Platform?  Which objects would be helpful in their diagrams?     From this perspective, I find most architects would prefer to model HOPEX as an Application System - composed of many individual Applications.  The Applications would represent different Product modules, such as APM, ITBM, ITA, BCM, ERLM etc..  This way, in the diagrams, they can show flows going directly to the "HOPEX Product" - rather, then showing flows into "HOPEX".   

However, there is another perspective - Application Portfolio Management perspective.   In general,  HOPEX Platform is a managed as a single record in your Application Portfolio Catalog (TOGAF).   For example,  if you setup your Application Portfolios in HOPEX, then generally there  should be only 1 record there for HOPEX platform and  not multiple records for each HOPEX product.    This makes sense because an Application in HOPEX is more like a Conceptual object, rather than Physical.   Hence, it makes sense to map servcienow "Business Application" to HOPEX Application object.  There is a single budget, single data classification, lifecycle, and risk profiles.     

This way,  internal "components" of HOPEX should be modeled as IT Services.    For Solution Architects, this means they have to draw additional diagrams to show flows into these components.

To me -  because HOPEX Application is more of a Conceptual object with a single budget, lifecycle, risk and data profiles - I think it makes more sense to model with an Application object - rather than Application System.