cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capability Maturity Assessment

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

I am trying to understand how to assess capability maturity on a 5 point scale. For example, CMMI scale.

There is no "maturity" metaclass or even meta-atribute for a capability.

Also - there should be some aggregation rules  - as capability maps are multi-layered.

Any help appreciated.

6 Replies

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

This is what we're after as an organization.  On this page is referred to as BAMM but, its same as CMMI - i don't see a difference.  its definitely a model for "business capabilities" not a "process".   Again, out of box assessments characteristics are great - but they don't align to this.  

https://www.bainstitute.org/resources/articles/measuring-business-architecture-capability-maturity

As I see it, CMMI and the capability assessment in HOPEX is two different things. CMMI is more focused on processes and improvement. The assessment inHOPEX is focused more on the business architecture, or the business as a whole. 

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@hsoegaard Great suggestion.  That would be fastest way to get started with maturity as  assessments are available out of box. Not sure these align with CMMI scale, but getting to CMMI definitions might be a longer journey , once we get the basics down. Thanks. 

You could create a TaggedValue or MetaAttrubute on the Business Capability that is calculated based on the four values in the standard assessment. 

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

THanks @hsoegaard  I need to learn more about "exhibited business capability" concept.

As for assessed characteristics  - in addition to the out of box ones - we may choose to define our own charactereistic called "Maturity" and define the 1-5 scale as per CMMI definition.  

I like that the scoring is aggregated to top levels - very helpful.

hsoegaard
MEGA Partner
MEGA Partner

In HOPEX IT Business Management you can do assessments of the Business Capabilities that are part of a business transformation. When business capabilities are connected to a transformation, they will be "exhibited business capability" and you assess that instance of the capability. The assessment in done in four dimensions: Business Value, Financial Impact, Capability Effectiveness, and Capability Efficiency.

The assessments will also be aggregated to the level 1 business capabilities. By doing the assessment on the exhibited business capabilities you are able to show the change over time, e.g. what was the assessment in a previous transformation and what is it in the current transformation.