cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical bug in V4CP2 with Organizational processes that are described by more then one diagram.

RGenin
Trusted Contributor

Hello, 

We wanted to let the community know that we are experencing a critical bug in V4CP2 after moving from V2R1CP7 with Organizational processes that are described by more then one diagram.

Double check bellow before upgrading:

Upon opening a diagram, Hopex attaches randomly all the other objects (present in other diagrams) to the openned diagram, making the diagram unreadable.

A case has been opened (00100660). Hopefully it will be solved soon.

Raphaël.

5 Replies

just to be complete: the compatibility option is in 'compatibility > diagram > Automatic filling of BPMN diagrams'

compatibility_option_process_diagrams.png

OLeGuellec
MEGA
MEGA

Hi,

This is the new behavior in V4, where the diagram / model consistency has been increased for process models. The diagram is now updated automatically with new items populated in another diagram (e.g. the tree view diagram in DoDAF) or from the properties.

As a general rule, having several diagrams of the same type describing an object is not recommended (this can easily lead to inconsistencies).

In case of As is / To be, for instance, a variation of the object or creating a duplicate is advised.

There is a compatibility option to deactivate the new behavior and revert to the V3 and previous versions behavior.

Hi RGenin,

No problem and we'll be sure to confirm the expected behavior and a proper means forward 🙂

Also, could you provide me with the exact Diagram Type for one of the diagrams you encountered the behavior in?

As always, thanks for your input/perspective... always appreciated.

JCamara

RGenin
Trusted Contributor

Hello Joseph, 

Thank you for replying and confirming your team is activelly looking into that.

We can see many situations where an Org Process can be described by several diagram:

- As-is VS To-be

- Normal Vs Disaster modes

- Sub-products of the same process

- ect

... and I believe it is/was widely used across the community (saw several posts about it, hence the warning). I also saw one example of its use in your presales environment.

It is also one of the only solution so that unique **** of Org Process don't change through their lifetimes (there are linked to other systems).

I can confirm that we haven't made a single customization on diagram initialization, some of those diagrams date back from V1R1.

I would also like to mention that we have contracted Mega last year to do the conversion of our diagrams from Value Streams to Org Processes and we were not told that was a wrong doing in our use of diagrams.

Best, 

Raphaël.

jcamara
Administrator
Administrator

Hi RGenin,

We are working on confirming this internally but I believe what you are seeing is technically by design since, by default, our development did not imagine a single Organizational Process requiring more than a single diagram to describe it (the design was a one to one mapping). This has been the case for quite some time on specific product/diagram types (I can't immediately recall if it has gone as far back as V2R1 so would have to investigate). If it was as far back as V2R1, then if you were not encountering that behavior, it was more than likely a customization to the diagram initialization (macro/code) that was preventing it. The upgrade could have reset this which could explain why you are seeing a difference in behavior.

I just thought I would mention that so community user's weren't mistakenly believing there was a bug when it could have been a methodology design 🙂

As you stated, we will be sure to communicate the definitive solution to you via the case you created. But I could also update this post if you provide me with the diagram type for the diagram that is encountering this behavior. could you share that here (and in the case you created)?

thanks and we look forward to assisting you on this.

JCAMARA