cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on how to structure a large Application Portfolio

sbrehm

Hello,

Are there any tips on how to structure a large Application Portfolio? A few thousand apps.  

Does it make sense to break the Applications into multiple portfolios based on a company's high-level org structure? 

What are the implications of multiple portfolios?

Can an app be in more than one portfolio?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sawyer

4 Replies

You can find some information here: HOPEX V4 Doc EN (mega.com)

Thank you! @hsoegaard  I'm new to Hopex and ITPM and I never used Criterias to construct Portfolios, I would like to explore what I can do with it, can you point me to some example or documentation?

I dont think that there is a wrong or right way here - it's one of those "it depends" answers.

Portfolios can be structured according to different criteria, e.g. all applications used in business unit or country. You may also group all Sales application into a portfolio. You can also use the portfolio show all applications owned by a person.
It really depends on what kind of criteria you are going to assess your applications against.
The power of portfolios, I find, are the criterias that you use to assess your applications against. These criteria can both be manual or they can be automatic where a macro extracts certain information from your application. The Cost criteria is good example of this.
Portfolios can also be grouped in case you need to e.g. sum up the cost from all portfolios. And inside a portfolio you can also create sub-groups with initiatives.
Applications can be part of several portfolios,  because you may need to assess your applications differently in different portfolios.

andreelaliberte
New Contributor

I'm looking for the same guidelines, any answers to this question?