Did you mean: 

How to organize project work in HOPEX?

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Context

======

• We are a large organization, with over 100+ solution architects
  • Solution Architects are assigned to a "project" and must create several architecture deliverables (matrix reports, diagrams, capability maps, etc...)
  • Deliverables typically span multiple architecture domains
    • For example, architects might need to create following views
    • Business Architecture
      • Business Context (i.e. applicaiton linked to org units)
    • Applicaiton Architecture
      • Applicaiton Usage (i.e. Applicaiton linked to bus. processes or org units or services)
      • Applicaiton Cooperation (i.e. a landscape of several applicaitons showing data flows)
    • Integration Architecture
      • Batch or API exchanges betwen applications
    • DAta Architecture 
    • Technolgy Architecture
      • Deployment architecture

Question

=======

In HOPEX, how can we "group" or "organize" all these different deliverables under a single "folder" or "object"?  

For example, a managing architect might want to quicly find/review all artifacts created for a specific project.

Our current approach

=================

Use the Hopex EA Project object.  This project seems to designed for this purpose.  It offers a way to add object in scope of the project.  AS a bonus, it supports defining a "methodology", to help architects create the deliverables.

So, is that what others are using as a way to "organize" or "group" the work?

Other ideas we're exploring is to use "tags".  For example, tag all objects with the project ID (e.g 8-digit number).  Then, a simple query shows all the objects/digarams associated with.

Lastly, can perhaps a regular "Project" object be used for this purpose?  For example, import or define a new Project and set it as "Ongoing" project in HOPEX.   Then, add the in-scope objects to it.

Thanks,

Ben

3 Replies

antpopple
Contributor

Hi all,

Firstly, I'm a Hopex newbie (this is my first comment!).

I have a couple of questions relaing to the discussion here:

1. When you say you "link the impacted HL objects" to the EA Project, do you mean, say, for an application, you add the EA Project as the Owner in the Identification section of the Characteristics tab? Or is there some other relationship created?
  2. Application Flow objects don't have this Owner attribute (that I can see).  Would the alternative be to create an Application Flow Map that is specific to the project and link the new Application Flows to that?

Apologies if these questions don't make sense.  I'm happy to clarify as needed.

Thanks, Ant

TDucher
Super Contributor

Hi,

We are using this "EA Project" object to manage exactly what you need.

• When a new project is "validated", we create a EA project object in HOPEX
  • We link persons objects to the project to have in HOPEX the different participants and their roles (the ones who will contribute or are responsible of what will be modelled documented in HOPEX + Project manager)
  • Early in the project we try to link the impacted HL objects (Business processes, applications, master data .....) with a status indicating the impact of the project on the objects
  • During detailed architecture, design, build phases we add new "low level" objects (Organizational process, IT service, particular Diagrams .....)

Not always easy to make it appends for all projects 🙂

Need some controls at certain point in time during projects phases to make it efficient and really used ....

Thierry.

hsoegaard
MEGA Partner
MEGA Partner

Hi,

Yes, this is exactly what others are also doing. The Project I would say has a different purpose, and not all objects can used as a delivery, whereas the EA Project is more suited for Solution Projects. We have for one client made a connection between the Project and the EA Project, so they have one overall project and below they can have multiple EA Projects that help in fulfilling the overall project.