cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Reference Architecture & EA Repository

aseth
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeking for some guidance on how can we create and manage Reference Architecture & EA Repository using Hopex. I would like to preserve Ref Architecture diagrams, patterns diagrams and decision tree in the repository.

Was wondering if you could help and guide here.

Thanks.

Amit Seth

13 Replies

priyajay
New Contributor

Does anyone know why we're not able to create Logical Application Architecture diagrams in Hopex? We are able to create Logical Application System architectures, however, the new diagram button is disabled for logical Applications.

Thanks

We are on V4 waiting for V5 deployment. I am assuming it will function like Directives and Control and APPS will be assessed based on those Principles

Thank you @hsoegaard 

You will see it in IT Architecture for one

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@hsoegaard 

offtopic - but, which product is Architecture Principle associated with in HOPEX.

I can find the metaclass - but not much else 

BenAvdicevic_0-1648753393267.png

Not sure which version you are using, but in HOPEX V5 Architecture Principles are now available, and can be used to connect to artifacts so you can see or check your compliance against the principles. Just in case you where not aware of it.

@ALL btw this is great conversation and learning. I wish we could get one a call on some monthly cadence. My next quest is to see how we could leverage HOPEX for EA Principles and have Application and Technology designs adhere to them. We could start a new thread too to get more visibility to this.

aseth
Contributor

@BenAvdicevic The only thing I would like to bring up is the Diagraming under "Logical Application" and "Logical Application System" is not same as what you get under ""Applications" and ""Application System". It doesn't gives you the same realization since there isn't a real physical layer associated with that model. Associating capability is ok as long as its hidden on dashboards and reports where one would expect Applications to show up and not logical applications.

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

Thanks for feedbacks @aseth @hsoegaard .

Logical Applicaitons is something we've considred also.  However, its use is really only if you are trying to build a reference architecture with "Applicaiton or Application system" objects on your diagram.

With regards to capabilities.   This is a more business archtiecture concept.   IMHO, nothing wrong with creating a refernece architecture from business capabilities.

Yes - bus. capabilities are usually realized by a set of applications - so you could always translate a bus. capability diagram into one with applicaiton objects - in which case using HOPEX logical architecutre is a great fit

As for using a different library for reference architectures - it could work. We will be trying this out as well as using Archimate.

aseth
Contributor

I agree to how @BenAvdicevic is thinking. Yeap they sound similar but they are different. Also @hsoegaard point is valid we should not associate a ref architecture with capabilities. But rather certain resources can implement a reference architecture or a pattern. I was able to realize this using the "Logic Application" meta-model and create a report out of it to make it visible and consumable to the end user interacting with the 360 portal.