cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database administration in Hopex - SQL server 2016, 2017...

CJonet
New Contributor

Using Database Builder for SQL Server 2017

We are trying to do some reverse engineering and MEGA documentation says Database Builder supports up to SQL Server 2008.

Does it also support more recent SQL server versions?

Is there a .mol file containing these new SQL versions?

Thanks for your help

7 Replies

RGenin
Trusted Contributor

Hi Christophe, 

Have a look at this post :

https://community.mega.com/t5/Forum-HOPEX-Product/MEGA-Data-Extractor-DataType-quot-SQL-CHAR-quot-al...

I mention that there is a bug in the tool, and it gives the wrong data type. I had opened a case and it was supposed to be fixed. Maybe it is not the case again.

I had found this tool by browsing the forums and this version works well for your needs (you will have the correct datatype) :  https://apics.mega.com/community/proxy.aspx?attachement=00P5700001sIX7JEAW&aoid=50157000000k6RjAAI&f...

Cheers, 

Raphaël.

EDIT: I made a quick test and I confirm the bug is back, even in V3 !!  
@jhorber: Case 82838 
is still there also in V3.00.05. See this post for reference.

Even if future development on the tool is on pause, I don't understand why Mega doesn't at least switch the HOPEX Data Extractor tool with the bug-free version...

CJonet
New Contributor

Hi RGenin

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

If the reverse engineering was working for tables, columns, data types, keys and indexes on SQL db, it would already be a great help for us. Views and stored procs are nice to have but not a must for us.

Unfortunately, when I run a reverse engineering with SQL server 2008 (the last SQL DBMS I have in Hopex), the data types of columns are not correctly detected. Do you know if this is something we can customize? There is nothing in the Hopex documentation about that.

I will check the "Mega Extractor tool" that you mentioned, maybe it works a better 🙂

Cheers

Christophe

RGenin
Trusted Contributor

Hi Christophe, 

We tried to do the above some months/years ago. 
However we came to the conclusion that as of its current state, unfortunately Hopex doesn't fit the purpose for that.

Even when you manage to get the tables, there is no reverse engineering done to link all the SQL Views and store procedures back to those tables, so no way to do real data lineage.

We opened a case back then, but there was no plan on improving that at that time.
Ref : DBB-Importing-Stored-procedures-and-Views-from-SQL-to-Hopex 

CJonet
New Contributor

Hi

Version HOPEX V2R1 (U03.05) full client (not web)

Thanks

Christophe

Hi, 

Okay, got it. What version of HOPEX are you using? I'll do some research as well.

Thanks,

Philip

CJonet
New Contributor

Hi Philip

Thanks for your reply but this is not what I am looking for.

I am using the HOPEX Information Architecture module and on the IA physical layer, we can perform a reverse engineering of tables. This is about "documenting" tables within Hopex and then being able to regenerate the SQL scripts to recreate these tables.

This reverse engineering is possible through an ODBC connector which connects to the SQL database from which I want to retrieve the table definitions.

Hope it clarifies my request

png
MEGA
MEGA

Hi,

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

HOPEX V3:

SQL Server 2019: qualified and supported, recommended
SQL Server 2017: qualified and supported, recommended
SQL Server 2016: qualified and supported
SQL Server 2014: qualified and supported

HOPEX V2R1:

SQL Server 2019: qualified and supported
SQL Server 2017: not qualified, no issue reported
SQL Server 2016: qualified and supported, recommended
SQL Server 2012: supported not recommended
SQL Server 2008 R2: supported not recommended. No longer supported by Microsoft
SQL Server 2008: supported not recommended. No longer supported by Microsoft

HOPEX V2:

SQL Server 2016: supported
SQL Server 2012: qualified and supported.
SQL Server 2008 R2: supported not recommended. No longer supported by Microsoft
SQL Server 2008: supported not recommended. No longer supported by Microsoft

Thanks,

Philip