cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Reference Architecture & EA Repository

aseth
Contributor

Hi,

I am seeking for some guidance on how can we create and manage Reference Architecture & EA Repository using Hopex. I would like to preserve Ref Architecture diagrams, patterns diagrams and decision tree in the repository.

Was wondering if you could help and guide here.

Thanks.

Amit Seth

13 Replies

I would say that any type of model you can make in HOPEX is potentially a Reference Architecture. Logical Application Architectures can be used both as a reference but also to model something that you are planning to implement. If you create a Resource and IT Architecture that is also a Reference Architecture. I would create my Reference Architecture in a specific Library and just use them for reference.. I dont think I would connect the reference architecture to capability maps etc. We are mostly using the capability maps to analyse impacts of the architecture and projects.

BenAvdicevic
Honored Contributor

@SergeThorn , @aseth  this is very timely topic for our company too..

My 2 cents on above response.

BRM, TRM, DRM are "Reference Models" , not Reference Architectures. 

These two terms "Reference Architecture" and "Reference Model" are often used interchangibly - but they mean different things.

If you refer to TOGAF 9.2 (Chapter 41 - Repository)  you can see Open Group's caution on this.

BenAvdicevic_0-1648516357429.png

Bottom line,

Reference Models are  (a set of unifying concepts about a specific domain/topic) 

- Think of a parts list when you buy IKEA furniture.

• Easy to do in HOPEX
    • BRM - Business Capability Map
    • DRM - Business Dictionary
    • TRM - Functionalities (probably technical service catalog is right here)

Reference Architecture are high level patterns ( solutions to a problem in context)

- Think of an IKEA diagram showing how parts fit together to make a chair

- Uses the concepts from the parts list (reference models) and adds relationships

• To me, its not immediately clear how to create generic reference architecture diagrams 
    • For example, imagine you want ot create Reference Architecture using a BRM (basically, a high level solution to a known problem - using only concepts defined in a capability map (e.g. BIAN)
    • What is your starting object to create such diagram containing, say 8 concepts from BRM?
  • Do I create a new bus. capability MAP and call it "Reference Architecture ABC"
    • Then add only 8 concepts from BIAN map
    • Then create a Capability Structure Diagram for the new map?

For now, my prefererred approach would be to simply create reference architecture in Archimate - connecting Archimate Capability to the defined concepts in HOPEX capablity  map.    In Archimate, the viewpoint to chose is "Strategy".

Regards,

Ben

SergeThorn
Super Contributor

Hi Amit,

First when we refer to a Reference Architecture, we may associate them to the 4 (or 5) classical architecture domains or layers. It includes a document or set of documents that contains recommendations on the structures and integrations of IT products and services that make up a solution. It encompasses the best practices recognized in the industry, allowing it to suggest the optimal delivery method for this or that technology and in the design stages.

We will refer to generally four models

• Business Reference Model (BRM)
  • Data Reference Model (DRM)
  • Application Reference Model (ARM)
  • Technical Reference Model (TRM) 

Enterprise reference architectures are standardized architectures that provide a reference framework for a domain (Business, Data, Application, Technology) or a vertical sector (ex: Banking-Finance, Insurance, Healthcare, etc).

Many domains have their reference architecture definitions.

Key reference architecture examples include:

• BIAN Services Landscape for the Banking Sector;
  • ACORD Framework for the insurance sector;
  • eTOM Business Process Framework for the Telecom Industry from TMForum;
  • Government reference architectures, for example the American FEAF or the Australian AGA;
  • Defense architecture frameworks such as NAF, DODAF and MoDAF;
  • Reference architectures for manufacturing and supply chains such as ISA-95 and SCOR
  • Etc..

I’m in the process of developing 2 reference models in Hopex:

• A BRM based on BIAN. For this one I’m describing the BIAN Service Domains into Business Capabilities and using Business Capability Maps. (Then I link applications, functionalities, etc…)
  • A TRM using the Technical Services metaclasses and then producing a TRM Catalog.

Hope this helps.

Regards