cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the use of Systems Used?

MEGA Partner

What is the use of Systems Used?

Hi,

please help me understand the arquitectural importance of the object type Systems Used within the Hopex method. In other AE tools and notations I've worked with, the relation between object type Processes and object types Applications, IT services and IT resources is linked directly. Why does the Hopex method requier an intermediary (Systems Used)?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES
MEGA Partner

Re: What is the use of Systems Used?

Hello there,

I would really apreciate if someone could share it's insight about this type of object's purpose within Hopex's AE method.

Thanks in advance.

Hello, the System Used object allows a modeler to show that some sort of "System" is used or needed by the process. Yes you can connect the actual resources to the System Used BUT when modeling (especially a new process) you may not know what actual System, Application or other resource is that will be used. In that case the System Used can be named and helps show that some sort of system is required to perform that process.

Hope that helps.

MEGA Partner

@DMiddleton wrote:

Hello, the System Used object allows a modeler to show that some sort of "System" is used or needed by the process. Yes you can connect the actual resources to the System Used BUT when modeling (especially a new process) you may not know what actual System, Application or other resource is that will be used. In that case the System Used can be named and helps show that some sort of system is required to perform that process.

Hope that helps.

Good day D and thanks for sharing. Please let me comment something additional. I will appreciate your insights about it.

For me, who's used to model through direct relationships between main objects, it’s been hard to find real value in the usage of System Used as a type of object, instead of as a type of relationship. Worts yet because the representation of System Used is not uniform across key diagram types. For example, let’s consider an Organizational Process Diagram and an Application Usage Viewpoint Diagram. At the Application Usage Viewpoint Diagram, System Used is represented as a line, resembling a type of direct relationship between the two main objects. While at the Organizational Process Diagram, System Used is represented as a rounded box, with actual Applications (and Resources) listed below the box, depicting the true nature of System Used as an object type and container.

Wouldn’t it be cleaner to model System Used as a type or relationship between Processes and Applications? What modeling value am I not seeing with the current definition, and polymorphism characteristic of System Used?

Thanks again.

Tags (1)