cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variations and inheritance on the Methodology object

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Variations and inheritance on the Methodology object

Is it possible (and how easy) is it to create a variation of a Methodology in MEGA?

The scenario being:

A large global company applies one standard methodology (METHODOLOGY X) to the whole business, and then applies variations of METHODOLOGY X to different business units.

Each business unit will proceed to re-apply the standard methodology to their own needs creating METHODOLOGY X+1.

However this company would like to maintain the inheritance that METHODOLOGY X+1 has from METHODOLOGY X, so that any updates to METHODOLOGY X, will be automatically filtered down to the other variants like METHODOLOGY X+1.

Has anyone done this before and how easy/effective is it?

Francis Bell
Enterprise Architect, Business & Information Architecture

+45 3033 5543 | francis.bell@nordea.com
3 Replies
Highlighted

I'm sorry to sound slightly ignorant, but why are you doing this?

----------------------------------------------
MEGA UK Senior Consultant

Enterprise Architect
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi Alan, your question is not arrogant, in fact I asked the same question.

The "prospective" customer essentially has a corporate project model that they wish to roll-out to multiple independent business units which can adapt the corporate method for their own needs, however Corporate wish to maintain an overview of how the methods vary from the standard, and if they update the corporate standard they would like the updated standard to filter down to the other varied methods.

If that makes any sense....

In any case give my regards to Jane, it was a pleasure to work with her on installing MEGA Suite at Nokia in Finland 2 years ago.

Francis.

Francis Bell
Enterprise Architect, Business & Information Architecture

+45 3033 5543 | francis.bell@nordea.com
Highlighted

Francis,

Thanks for that and I'll be sure to pass on your regards to Jane!

That's quite a complex idea they're looking at there and certainly an admirable aim. I guess it would be possible to associate the Methodology object to the "Variable Object" abstract metaclass but you'd really need a Product Engineer's opinon on how well that would work and what the knock-on effects would be.

Just as a thought, what would happen to Projects underway is a change was made to a Mehtodology centrally?

I'm really sorry, i'm not sure I can be a huge amount of help on this one. Smiley Frustrated

Kindest regards,

Alan

----------------------------------------------
MEGA UK Senior Consultant

Enterprise Architect