cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Technical Infrasructure Diagram - Dev - Test - Prod

Contributor

Technical Infrasructure Diagram - Dev - Test - Prod

Hi, 

I'm trying to document the technical architecture of an application for 3 environments: Dev, Test and Prod. 

I'm wondering what would be the best way of doing it without having to create the objects 3 times? 

Example: 

Application A updates Database B on Server C -> Production Technical Infrastructure

Application A updates Database B on Server D -> Test Technical Infrastructure

Application A updates Database B on Server E -> Development Technical Infrastructure

I can generate 3 different diagrams to represent this (or on the same page, whathever) and it works well. But, when I consult the impacts of the application, I see that the application is installed 3 servers wihout any indications of which server is which instance (prod, test or dev).

I can also connect the database to different server as well, but the same problem occurs (I cannot not which instance is running on which server)

I tried duplicating by databases for each environment like this: 

Application A updates Database B [PROD] on Server C -> Production Technical Infrastructure

Application A updates Database B [TEST] on Server D -> Test Technical Infrastructure

Application A updates Database B [DEV] on Server E -> Development Technical Infrastructure

It works a little better, but now I have to duplicate my objects multiple times (each database is duplicated 3 times, but it's officially the same).

Any ideas on how to represent multiple deployments of the same application/database on various environments?

Thanks! 

1 Reply
Frequent Contributor

Re: Technical Infrasructure Diagram - Dev - Test - Prod

Hi,

I have not opened an infrastructure diagram to check but for this type of requirement the metaclass "Site" is very often used to be attached to the application, database and/or physically put in the background to display this environment type in order to have a single diagram for the 3 env.  

Regards,

Lionel Mazurié