cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reusable Services(like SOA Service) - What is the best element to depict a SOA Service?

Highlighted
Contributor

Reusable Services(like SOA Service) - What is the best element to depict a SOA Service?

All

What metaclass be a good candidate to depict Services (not ITIL services, services from a SOA perspective - reusability)?

S

Tags (1)
6 Replies
Contributor

Re: Reusable Services(like SOA Service) - What is the best element to depict a SOA Service?

I feel that the choice would be between Application and IT Service.

BTW, I am thinking that Application Meta class  would be an ideal candidate. But I am open to ideas from mega practioners.

It would be awesome if all of you can post your opinions/experiences.

Contributor

Re: Reusable Services(like SOA Service) - What is the best element to depict a SOA Service?

Hello,

my point of view on this issue is to always keep in mind how the metamodel must meet business needs, especially the IT to this point.
I generally find that customers implement SOA Service in 3 different ways : Application Metaclass, IT Service Metaclass or with a not Mega standard SOA Service Metaclass.
And each of them is right because his vision meets their needs.
The great strength of Mega is precisely to be easily configured to meet the vision of each organization.
It's not always easy to choose the right concepts, but a good approach may be to start from a standard of Enterprise Architecture like TOGAF which proposes a metamodel with SOA approach:
http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/togaf9-doc/arch/chap34.html

Best regards,
Jean-Yves
New Contributor

We use IT Services for capturing Reports, SAP Transaction Codes, and SOA Web Services.  We use other objects for capturing the Business Services our Shared Services Organization offers to the business units. 

This is what the concept of IT Service is realy meant for.

Don't forget that IT Services can be stereotyped for easy reporting and querying.

Man Wink

Alan

----------------------------------------------
MEGA UK Senior Consultant

Enterprise Architect
Contributor

What do you mean by saying that they can be stereotyped for easy reporting?

Well, if you're using the IT Service for more than one purpose, don't forget that rather than have to run around creating new MetaClasses to show different IT Service-related concepts then you can use IT Service by select from a drop-down to select its type - see the attached screen capture.

This is good for reporting because it's very easy to write a query (or even write and save a query - don't forget how useful the Favourites navigation window is...) to list all Interface Services along the lines of:-  Select [IT Service] Where [IT Service Stereotype] ="INTERF"

It's also much easier to create a new type of IT Service than to create a new - but very similar - MetaClass.

Of course, I'm writing this without any knowledge of your particular circumstances, so forgive me if it doesn't exactly answer your question but hopefully it's useful.

Cheers,

Alan

----------------------------------------------
MEGA UK Senior Consultant

Enterprise Architect