cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical Server, Virtual Server and Web Servers

Contributor

Physical Server, Virtual Server and Web Servers

Hi, 

I was wondering if somebody would have an advice on the best way to modelize Physical Server, Virtual Server and Web Servers?

In Hopex V1R2, there is only one object called "Server" without many attributes. What would be the best way to distinguish the 3 types of servers using the same object? (or maybe should I use another object?)

I'm trying to use a Technical Infrastructure diagram to show that an application is deployed on a Web Server (using IIS), this Web server is located on a virtual server called ABC and this ABC virtual server is located on a physical server called 123. I need to display the updated databases as well. 

What are your suggestions to show this in Mega with the right attributes in order to be able to distinguish the 3 of them?

Thanks! 

4 Replies
MEGA Partner

Re: Physical Server, Virtual Server and Web Servers

Contributor

Hi,

I tried to achieve what is described in the document and if understand correctly, I have to build my diagrams using the Resource Architecture and Artifacts instead of using the Technical Infrastructures diagrams.

The resource architectures diagrams do not allow the same links as Technical Infrastructures ones. Since I already have many servers, databases and applications on Technical Infrastructure diagrams, I don't really want to switch to a different concept of modeling. I guess I will customize Mega to add fields to identify if the server is Virtual or Physical and link the two to know which physical server hosts which virtual servers. 

Thanks for your time! 

Simon

MEGA Partner

On a Technical Infrastructure Diagram you can draw a link between two servers and the link will then indicate which of the servers is the virtual one.

Highlighted
MEGA Partner

Hello SBureau,

In Technical Infrastructure Diagram, for example if you have the below

Server A >> Lets assume this is the physical server

Server B >> lets assume this is the virtual Server

Application C >> The virtualized application

if connect the application C to Server B(not the other way around) You will notice that the Link will be called Virtual Server and it will be shown in green.

Yet the connection between the servers doesn't show this virtualization link. But it would be helpful in addition to using a custom attribute to check if the server is virtual or not,

Hope this helped,

Mostafa