Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Instances of application servers / databases

Solved
Contributor

Instances of application servers / databases

Hello,

I am wondering how to go about modeling instances of application servers or databases.

To be clearer, We use the metaclass Application with a personnalised attribute 'Type application = Technique'

to create application servers, for example 'Apache 2' or 'Tomcat 6'.

These application servers can be instanciated on different physical servers, and we want to be able to differenciate between them, ie. linking the technical appliation 'Tomcat 6' to two different servers is no good to us as each Tomcat is used by different business applications, and we need to be able to keep them separate.

What is the best way to model this ? Should we create a service for each instance (what naming rules ?) and link them to the technical application, or create component applications or what ?

I'm sure we're not the only company with this problem and I would love to know how others solved it.

Thanks,

Aoife

4 Replies
MEGA Partner

Re: Instances of application servers / databases

Hi,

I would use Resource Architcture where both Applications and Artifacts such as servers can be instantiated.

Contributor

Thanks for you answer. Sorry I didn't get back to you before, but I didn't have time to test your proposal. I did get around to it the other day and I'm afraid it would mean duplicating all kinds of things as artefacts in order to create a new type of diagram, which is not really what I need. The Technical Infrastructure diagram is just fine, and we use it for all our applications. I guess my problem is like one posted by another user a while ago which I came across this afternoon where he suggests using IT services for the instances (the post was about Websphere I think) : Application > IT service > Server. This is what our technical architects suggested also. What do you think ?

Aoife

Highlighted
MEGA Partner

Hi,

I'm not sure whar you mean by duplicating objects. It's normally a desicsion about to use either Technical Infrastructure or Resoource Architecture - not both.

It you go with Technical Infrastructure diagram, you can use a Technical Infrastructure to show the technology required by an Application. The Technical Infrastructure is linked on the Application property page.

But you probably stille need to use IT services as you describe.

Resource Architecture gives you basically the same functionality as a Technical Infrastructure diagram, but you get a lot more with Resource Architecture. And you can model different instantiations of an Application - which is not so easy in the Technical Infrastructure diagram.

Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. By duplicating I meant creating artefacts or 'objets manufacturés' for each server we have already created because we use the Technical Infrastructure. If, as seems reasonable, its either-or, we would probably continue using this type of diagram.

I'll check this with our technical architects.

Should we continue using the Technical Infrastructure, can we use the service objet to instantiate our applications ?