cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to model browser-accessed application entry points?

Solved
Occasional Contributor

How to model browser-accessed application entry points?

We have the majority of our applications that are accessed via a browser - eg you type 'system a' in to the browser and you access that system via LAN or VPN.

I am not sure how best to handle the capture of that system entry point. Often, but not always, its synonymous with the application itself.

What have people on the forum done in this situation? Used an attribute?

4 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: How to model browser-accessed application entry points?

I will just expand a bit on the advice I am looking for here.

It is often the case you have a system made available to employees which is an instantiation of a commercial package - eg SharePoint. Further, it is often the case that there is more than one of these - eg you might create an intranet-accessible system called HR-Portal and another one called IT-FAQ, both of which have been implemented via SharePoint. If I create an Application called SharePoint, then it doesn't resonate with the Business Users, so I probably need to create two Applications, called HR-Portal and IT-FAQ. How do I now show their relationship to SharePoint. Do I do it as an Application Tree?

Highlighted
MEGA Partner

I would probably make a distinction between ”business application” and technology or software.

In your case, I would definitely create the Applications suggested by you eg. HR Portal. I would the instead add Sharepoint more as a Technology. You can do this by linking Artifacts to your Application. Same goes for other software technologies like Internet Explorer, MS SQL etc.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks - very helpful. One follow-on question to that and its a detail only really, but where would you capture the URL entry point for the system?. I would prefer to use a MEGA existing attribute/relationship, rather than invent one. Its sometimes the case that a system can have more than one entry point, so its not quite as simple as just a single link.

MEGA Partner

Use an External Reference that you point to the URL. Link the External Reference to the Application. That way you can use the External Reference in orther types of models, eg. a Process Model.

The external reference can then also be used to create a link in a web site from the Application.

If you want to have it directly on the Application, create a Property Value on the Property sub-tab of the Application.