cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Process as Functional BPMN Element

Frequent Contributor

Business Process as Functional BPMN Element

Hi All,

Before Mega Models and plans we were using Functional activities and Functional Processes as Functional BPMN Elements. Now in hopex (from mega models and plans), we are no longer using them. We are using Business process, organizational process, operations etc,. 

Previously we used to connect Functional activities and processes with Transition between two states in state machine diagrams. Now We are planning to use Business process and Organizational process in that place.

As the meta model is already having association between Transition and Functional BPMN Element meta class. we are planning to add this Funtional BPMN Element as super class to Business process and organizational process.

Are we doing as per BPMN standards? If not, Can any one suggest best practice to achieve this.

Regards,

Venkatesh

Colruyt team.

Colruyt Team
3 Replies
Occasional Contributor

Re: Business Process as Functional BPMN Element

Hi,

I don't undestand what is the meaning of your transitions in BPMN context? They're not a BPMN object.

If the aim is to show that the operations must be done on a certain sequence, then the BPMN Object "Sequence Flow" has exactly this meaning. It can be done in any BPMN diagram on MEGA.

Frequent Contributor

Hi ,

Actually we have two states in state machine diagram. The transition that is drawn between these two states must be associated to some FunctionalBPMNelement.

For example, consider two states of a product. one is Ready for Shipment and other is Shipped state. The transition process between these states must follow some process. That must be linked to some process (Like business process or some other of that type).

Now, In Mega, The transition between two states in state machine diagram must be linked with some FuntionalBPMNElement like FunctionalActivity or FunctionalProcess. But we are no longer using these two elements. We are trying to use BusinessProcess, OrganizationProcess, or an Operation in this place.

My Doubt is about correct way of implementing this in Mega as per BPMN standards.

Thanks,

Venkatesh

Colruyt Team
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I think state machine diagram could not be replace by a process diagram.

Both represent behavior of a part of a system but the meaning is not the same :

• Process diagram represent activities, conditions and link between them.
  • State machine diagram (from UML) represent states of an object (instance of a class) and transition between them.

I think you should use both.

Regards

--
Julien Schneider