cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhebda
Retired

Do you believe in magic? If you follow a rabbit down a rabbit hole, will you stumble into a world where a bank customer can take a picture of a check and it’s automatically deposited into their account? Or, as Paolo Malinverno of Gartner described, where in the event of a car accident, the car will “interrogate” the driver’s wearable tech to check vital signs, the smart phone and car will send information to emergency responders and open up communication lines for survivors, where nearby video cameras are “interrogated” to collect digital evidence of the car crash as it occurred? What if your refrigerator recognized that you were low on milk and could automatically notify the grocery delivery system to add milk to the list?

Although I’m sure we’ll see some colorful characters at the 2014 Gartner Symposium, we don’t need crazed hatters or Cheshire cats for us to experience the wizardry described above. This is real. Some of these things are available now – some are a short distance away. Is your company in a position to harness and leverage technology to deliver this new level of connectivity to both internal and external customers?

The changing role of the CIO and IT, trying to slide the line on the 80/20 rule to get more innovation from existing resources, managing the pace of change and scaling the business accordingly … it looks like many businesses are facing a lot of the same challenges. Of course different organizations are at different stages of their transformation. Everyone will do what’s right for their business at the right time, but the sun is rising for all of us, and as much fun as we all had last night, it’s time to get ready for a new day. (As my wife would say, “We have to be there when the parks open!”)

Each year I enjoy getting together with everybody at Gartner Symposium to discuss all of these changes and how different players are navigating the landscape. MEGA will be there to provide an enterprise architecture perspective on managing these challenges. In the recently released 2014 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Architecture Tools, Saul Brand explains that EA tools “should facilitate the implementation of a business strategy focused on business outcomes and risk mitigation.” He goes on to say “This is done to enable business change that supports the direction and strategy of the organization while confronting many types of business disruptions.

Supporting strategy while confronting business disruptions. Certainly easier said than done, but I’m looking forward to hearing how different people make it happen. If you’d like, visit MEGA at booth 501 in the Enterprise Architecture marketplace at ITxpo – our team would love to hear about your plans to take your business digital.