cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting in reports

SBureau
Trusted Contributor

I have build a report displaying a list of application with their responsible org-units. Basically the reports look like: 

Application 1            Org-Unit Responsible 1

Application 2            Org-Unit Responsible 2

Application 3            Org-Unit Responsible 1

To populate the report, I created an usual query that looks for all active application and I linked it to the report. Unfortunately, the application list is in a random order. 

How can we specify the order of the rows in a report? Is it in the query part or the report part? Now, I'm getting

Application 2

Application 3

Application 1

Application 4

I just want to sort the report by the application name by default.

Thanks! 

Simon

8 Replies

RGenin
Trusted Contributor

Hi all, 

Has a solution has been found to this ?

We are also very frustated at this as it seems the reports order is completely random.

Like @SBureau said, if the first population element is given out through a populating query, the order is random.

image.png

image.png
@jhorber, would that be considered as a bug for a case ?

Thank you.

SBureau
Trusted Contributor

Just to let you know, the report I have is not build in Java, it's in plain script only directly in Mega. 

Thanks for your input.

Simon

ki6i
Trusted Contributor

There are various ways to go around this issue. What I did is to sort the collection after I get it. Really simple core Java sort function.

The sorting arrow that @jerome mentions works in HOPEX CP1 and not on any of the other releases - in the Java version of it. I have report it to Support several months ago and it went to RD several months ago but at the moment I don't recomend using that feature (in it's Java version). 

Regarding your question (Would it be possible to display the "sorting arrow" on the objects column? That way, even if the report is not sorted the first time when run, the user could sort the report after? )

This is not a standard feature. I have forwarded this suggestion to our product management team.

Jerome

SBureau
Trusted Contributor

Hi, 

I'm still searching for a way to sort reports. On every column (except the first one containing the object listed), it is possible to sort the report using the arrows (when activated for the column).

Would it be possible to display the "sorting arrow" on the objects column? That way, even if the report is not sorted the first time when run, the user could sort the report after? 

Otherwise, I can add a column displaying the short name llike the object column (first column) so that it can be sorted, but I find it bad to display the same information twice just to enable sorting... 

Untitled.png

SBureau
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

I realized something this morning:

- If I create a report by selecting applications manually -> the sorting in the report is in alphabetical order

- If I create the same report using a registered query to select applications -> the sorting in the report is in a random order. 

That is strange... 

Thanks.

SBureau
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jerome, 

I'm not sure to fully understand what you need to know, but I'll give you more context: 

1- I created a query called "All Apps - Active and Not Office System" that I use to list all applications that are active ant that the application type is not "O". The Query is the following:

Select [Application] Where [End of Life Date] Is Null And ([Application Type] Not = "O" Or [Application Type] Is Null)

2- I saved this query as a usual query. 

When I run this query directly from the seach tools, I get the required list of applications in the right order.

3- I created a report and instead of having to select all applications to run the report, I attached the query in the Parameters tab of the report.

When I run the report, applications are in a random order.

The report template is is a simple report (not java) in which I list all applications in a table. Rows displays applications (using the query mentionned) and columns represent the metaassociationend "responsible org-unit".

The reports runs through all applications of the query and displays the reponsible org-unit of it. That's pretty much it. 

Let me know if you want me to clarify more things. 

Thanks!

jhorber
MEGA
MEGA

Hello Simon

The result of an ERQL query is always sorted alphabetically according you the context, it is possible to sort the list or not

Detail what is the context of use of this query

HTML formatter?

RTF descriptor (in a group, in a text..)?

Jerome