cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Architecture – At the Center of Digital Transformation

Since there are no “keepers of the digital”, anyone can get in on this any time they want. The problem is, where does an organization start when taking the business digital? It might have been easier if there was some all-knowing, governing body that presided over all things digital. They could tell each business exactly what they need and where to plug it in to maximize the return on investment. Alas, there are no such keepers. Instead, there’s just unlimited digital out there for everyone to grab and use as they see fit. For many organizations, chaos reigns supreme.

How do you know how much digital you need? How many parts of your business do you need to digitalize before you can call yourself a digital business?

“If I launch a mobile app, is my business considered digital?”

“Well, if I handed you four tires, would you be considered a car? What if I also handed you a steering wheel, a radio, and some engine parts, are you now a car?”

Of course not. But this is how many organizations approach the transition to digital business. Not knowing where to start or how to measure progress or value, there’s simply an attempt to gather pieces and hope it translates into innovation and business growth.

However, some organizations are getting it right. It turns out, there are in fact keepers of the digital. To blend into normal society, they cleverly disguise themselves as enterprise architects. And just as wizards are drawn to Hogwarts and gods are drawn to Mount Olympus, next week enterprise architects from all over North America will converge on National Harbor, MD for the Gartner Enterprise Architecture Summit. According to Gartner, this is where “attendees will learn how to maximize the value and minimize the risks of investments in cloud, big data, analytics and mobility — and explore the impacts of trends and technologies that every enterprise architect must master.”

If you are responsible for helping your organization navigate a digital transformation, are you leveraging enterprise architecture to act as the GPS for your journey? You could be developing transformation scenarios right now and identifying the most appropriate one to support your company’s digital business strategy. You could be reconciling application and technology portfolios to free up resources for investment in appropriate digital technologies. You could architect new business processes to enhance your customers’ journey as they engage with your organization.

Your enterprise architecture team can do amazing things if given the right tools and support. I’m looking forward to next week’s event. I enjoy hearing from the architects about which challenges their business is prioritizing and how they’re approaching those initiatives. If you’re going to be there, come find us - MEGA will be at booth 113.

Also, I thought I heard something about zombies and survival guides … I guess we’ll have to wait until next week to find out what that’s all about.

Comment
MEGA

Since there are no “keepers of the digital”, anyone can get in on this any time they want. The problem is, where does an organization start when taking the business digital? It might have been easier if there was some all-knowing, governing body that presided over all things digital. They could tell each business exactly what they need and where to plug it in to maximize the return on investment. Alas, there are no such keepers. Instead, there’s just unlimited digital out there for everyone to grab and use as they see fit. For many organizations, chaos reigns supreme.

How do you know how much digital you need? How many parts of your business do you need to digitalize before you can call yourself a digital business?

“If I launch a mobile app, is my business considered digital?”

“Well, if I handed you four tires, would you be considered a car? What if I also handed you a steering wheel, a radio, and some engine parts, are you now a car?”

Of course not. But this is how many organizations approach the transition to digital business. Not knowing where to start or how to measure progress or value, there’s simply an attempt to gather pieces and hope it translates into innovation and business growth.

However, some organizations are getting it right. It turns out, there are in fact keepers of the digital. To blend into normal society, they cleverly disguise themselves as enterprise architects. And just as wizards are drawn to Hogwarts and gods are drawn to Mount Olympus, next week enterprise architects from all over North America will converge on National Harbor, MD for the Gartner Enterprise Architecture Summit. According to Gartner, this is where “attendees will learn how to maximize the value and minimize the risks of investments in cloud, big data, analytics and mobility — and explore the impacts of trends and technologies that every enterprise architect must master.”

If you are responsible for helping your organization navigate a digital transformation, are you leveraging enterprise architecture to act as the GPS for your journey? You could be developing transformation scenarios right now and identifying the most appropriate one to support your company’s digital business strategy. You could be reconciling application and technology portfolios to free up resources for investment in appropriate digital technologies. You could architect new business processes to enhance your customers’ journey as they engage with your organization.

Your enterprise architecture team can do amazing things if given the right tools and support. I’m looking forward to next week’s event. I enjoy hearing from the architects about which challenges their business is prioritizing and how they’re approaching those initiatives. If you’re going to be there, come find us - MEGA will be at booth 113.

Also, I thought I heard something about zombies and survival guides … I guess we’ll have to wait until next week to find out what that’s all about.