cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Perimeter

SVanSchoonlandt
Honored Contributor

I would love to create and use my own perimeter for duplicating objects, is this possible?

When you do export, you can select the perimeter the tool has to follow in order to build the collection of objects to export. Is it possible to also have this available for duplicate ? Sometimes I only want to duplicate one level deep and other times I want to duplicate multiple levels deep, however right now it seems to be all or nothing.

Thanks for suggestions.

Stijn

3 Replies

I can't really speak to the technical steps to do it, but i would assume it's possible, since you can use a custom perimeter for Compare & align. To the second part of Stijn's original post, i don't believe a custom perimeter would allow you to determine to which level of decomposition to duplicate.

We have a similar requirement for moving content from one repository to another: we can't rely on the out-of-the-box perimeter, since in some cases our users only want to move for example a process, its diagram with all the sub-processes but not the diagrams of the sub-processes. With a perimeter, if we define the behavior to go deep on the description metaassociationend, i believe it will also take the diagrams of the sub-processes. One alternative that we're considering is to write a custom macro where we can provide queries at run-time to extract the objects at the level we want for that instance.

It might also be interesting to look at the macro for the out-of-the-box impact analysis report template: when you create an instance of the report, you can choose to what "level" of the object's "neighboorhood" you want to report on. There may be some ideas in there for how to let users select the level of decomposition when creating a duplicate.

Hi Arunas,

thanks for your feedback. I do know how to create perimeters, but I want to have a possibility to choose a perimeter for the duplicate function just as when you do a compare and align or a export. Right now when you execute duplicate it's always using the same perimeter.

I do think everything is happening in a private method, cfr DuplicateMethod macro

Arunas
Trusted Contributor

Thats possible to create and customize your own perimeter (you can customize it abort,deep, link and Stardard )and refer that perimeter to your metawizard macro which is connected on metacommand of the metaclass,