cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Writing access area of a big set of objects

mbalme
Retired

Hi everyobdy,

I'm implementing Data Access Rules to replace our current Writing acess area system.

We would like to merge our current 400 writing acess area into only one !

Problem : we have a big volumetry of data... ... and we have to modify each object of the repository to change their writing access area…

I found a solution to do this with VB scripts but it's difficult to know how long the execution would last and I meet issues when the current transaction have a lot of operations (query timeout...).

Do you have any other suggestion ?

If I have to do this through VB Scripts (through the VB Script editor), is there a way to regularly publish my transaction ?

Thank you in advance for your help

9 Replies

With MyNewWritingAccessArea, you are in scenario 2)

• The 400 Writing Access Areas should persist.
  • Most users have this level 'MyNewWritingAccessArea', this level is higher than the 400 Writing Access Areas
  • Objects are still stamped with existing Writing Access Areas

Otherwise (scenario 1)

• There is only 1 Writing Access Areas 'Administrator'.
  • Most users have this level 'Administrator'
  • As previous  Writing Access Areas do no longer exist, all objects have the default Writing Access Area 'Administrator'
Jerome

Yes but I'll still have to link my repository objects to "MyNewWritingAccessArea"

If you delete the writing acces area objects, the links will be deleted automatically

Jerome

Yes, that's why I would like to delete these useless Writing Access Areas.

If users are declared with MyNewWritingAccessArea or Administrators the 400 other Writing Access Areas become useless

Jerome

OK I understand. Indeed, that would be a solution.  I'm in the 2nd solution case.

Anyway, setting that up will make me keep my old 400 others writing access areas...

As we have utilities that use writing access areas, I would like to delete these useless ones....

Each object is flagged with an authorization level (object property).

Links are redundant information

Instead of reprocessing all the repository objects, consider 2 options
1) Delete all writing access area except 'Administrator'
Declare most users at writing access area '
If a writing access area is not found, the default writing access area is 'Administrator' (~C30000mCpCpC[Administrator])
No need to reprocess objects or links
2) Keep one writing access area (ex: MyNewWritingAccessArea) in addition to 'Administrator'
Declare most users at MyNewWritingAccessArea
Hierarchy must be
Administrator > MyNewWritingAccessArea > MyOldWritingAccessArea1, MyOldWritingAccessArea2...MyOldWritingAccessArea400
See image

Jerome

Hello jhorber,

"Do you think time will be spend to run scripts that generate the changes or to commit changes?"

===> Both

"What kind of updates you do plan to trigger at a large scale?"

====>  As I said, I would like to merge 400 writing access area. As it seems to be impossible to use the standard merge feature for this object type (writing access area), I have to :

- keep one of them

- delete all of the others

- link all objects in the repository (linked to a deleted writing access area) to  the unique one that I've kept 

jhorber
MEGA
MEGA

Hello mbalme

You foresee that a data conversion using script will take a significant time

Do you think time will be spend to run scripts that generate the changes or to commit changes?

What kind of updates you do plan to trigger at a large scale?

Jerome