Welcome to Functional Product & Methodology

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever thought about using patterns for your EAM?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Have you ever thought about using patterns for your EAM?

Starting your EAM may become quickly an overwhelming task when confronted with the complexity of your IT, the needs of your business, the flow of information and similar.

One way to manage this is the usage of patterns. This helps you to swiftly identify the pains and increase your focus on the part of the model counting the most right now.

As a jumpstart regarding the usage and the variety of EAM-pattern I recommend this page:

http://wwwmatthes.in.tum.de/wikis/eam-pattern-catalog

Have you already used patterns during your EAM project? Do you have any thoughts on using this methodology?

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Have you ever thought about using patterns for your EAM?

Have thought about it, but to date, I haven't found a lot of good uses. 

I find that we as EAs tend to make things more difficult and "PHD"ish than they need to be.  Our big focus for our EA group is on simplifying the message for our customers.   

Tags (2)
MEGA

In regards to Mike Fulton's comment about architects making things "PHD"ish, another MEGA customer once had this to say about architects:

"The point of enterprise architecture is simplicity. Architects try to make things as complicated as they need to be, but as simple as they can be. We call that elegant." ~ Tom Schecker, White & Case.

Apparently you two come from the same architecture school of thought. Well done.

Tags (1)
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I tried to follow that link and it appears its no longer there? It sounds interesting, so would appreciate if you can update with its new location?

kind regards

Simon

MEGA

Hello Simon,

you can try this link: http://wwwmatthes.in.tum.de/pages/3b4t6l34g936/EAM-Pattern-Catalog

Best regards,
Jean-Yves
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jean-Yves!

I tried the link, but even after registering, was not allowed to access it.  The content is designated as for staff members only.  Is there a public version of this that you could post here?

I'd also like to explore further how people use the repository for creating patterns.  Is it really just as simple as setting up a separate library and populating it with sample components, ready for duplication when creating real architectures?  I saw another post that said they had added an attribute to contain the pattern name.  This strikes me as a much more efficient way of working than our current method, which uses PowerPoint and relies on people's knowledge to find things and declare which patterns they are using.