Welcome to Business & IT Transformation Blog

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winning and retaining fans in Formula E motorsport

illu-blog-formula-e-british.jpg

Recently, because I've become used to this, "big motorsport" has been leaving me somewhat left out and feeling that maybe it was mostly run for the benefit of its shareholders and the teams' sponsors.

So with the British Grand Prix approaching and with its usual build-up of politics and off-track discussions, I thought what better time to get some of my ideas in writing.

Off the back of this, I've found I've been following the electric race series, Formula E more closely. The organisers of this discipline of motorsport clearly make a conscious effort to engage with the fans as much as possible, starting from the week before a race when it's possible for a driver to earn a “FanBoost” - an extra surge of power that they can use during the race.

Off the back of this the drivers and race teams have to actively engage with fans to attract more voters and earn that important advantage. This continues right into and during the race.

Once the race is over, the Formula E organisers make sure that the podium ceremony is in a very public and accessible place in the circuit, with a long catwalk so as many ticket holders as possible can see and be as near the ceremony as possible.

What Formula E have done is understand that what, to them and the teams, is a series of very discrete phases and sets of processes in the lead up and over a race weekend is, to their customers, the fans, one journey from their initial engagement, their investment in the outcome of the race, the race itself and the conclusion of the event.

By understanding that the fans are one of their customers and that the currency by which a race series can attract fundamentally operate and then gain more revenue through sponsorship, media and other channels is via the number of viewers and engagements they can generate for those sponsors.

In other words, the customer's journey is important, and central to the success Formula E is having.

One part of the HOPEX V2 rollout is an enhancement of MEGA's ability to map the processes that support a customer's journey and then tie those touch points together to visualise and more easily tell the story. This can help bring real or virtual engagements from the customer's point of view that create a better experience for them as well as helping your organisation to understand and improve its customer-facing processes across the business.

Comment

Recently, because I've become used to this, "big motorsport" has been leaving me somewhat left out and feeling that maybe it was mostly run for the benefit of its shareholders and the teams' sponsors.

So with the British Grand Prix approaching and with its usual build-up of politics and off-track discussions, I thought what better time to get some of my ideas in writing.

Off the back of this, I've found I've been following the electric race series, Formula E more closely. The organisers of this discipline of motorsport clearly make a conscious effort to engage with the fans as much as possible, starting from the week before a race when it's possible for a driver to earn a “FanBoost” - an extra surge of power that they can use during the race.

Off the back of this the drivers and race teams have to actively engage with fans to attract more voters and earn that important advantage. This continues right into and during the race.

Once the race is over, the Formula E organisers make sure that the podium ceremony is in a very public and accessible place in the circuit, with a long catwalk so as many ticket holders as possible can see and be as near the ceremony as possible.

What Formula E have done is understand that what, to them and the teams, is a series of very discrete phases and sets of processes in the lead up and over a race weekend is, to their customers, the fans, one journey from their initial engagement, their investment in the outcome of the race, the race itself and the conclusion of the event.

By understanding that the fans are one of their customers and that the currency by which a race series can attract fundamentally operate and then gain more revenue through sponsorship, media and other channels is via the number of viewers and engagements they can generate for those sponsors.

In other words, the customer's journey is important, and central to the success Formula E is having.

One part of the HOPEX V2 rollout is an enhancement of MEGA's ability to map the processes that support a customer's journey and then tie those touch points together to visualise and more easily tell the story. This can help bring real or virtual engagements from the customer's point of view that create a better experience for them as well as helping your organisation to understand and improve its customer-facing processes across the business.