Digital tech is all the rage in business right now. According to Gartner, “Digital business platforms are emerging as the approach to digital innovation combining five interdependent elements - ecosystem, customers, things, IT systems and intelligence.” The question is … who is going to help you deliver the digital business platform that your organization needs?
“The Magnificent Seven” is a movie about how an 1870’s robber baron besieges a mining town and slaughters a group of locals when they attempt to stand up to him. To stop this nefarious criminal, two townspeople find a bounty hunter who then rounds up an eclectic group of gunslingers, each with a different skillset, to help save the town. Your business is like a growing, thriving town, with threats coming at you from all angles. Who are you going to turn to for innovation, to create the digital business platform your business needs to be relevant and competitive in a customer-centric, digital world?
(Cue music: “dum, dat dat dum … dum, duh dat dat dum”)
You likely have a group of specialists working for your company right now that are the perfect team of rag-tag, motley data gunslingers who can bring together the necessary skills and resources that you need.
- Your head of enterprise architecture is the visionary. They anticipate the needs of the company and identify synergies, with a specific focus on IT performance and optimization, experimenting with new offshoots of existing capabilities, process innovation, and data & cloud potential.
- Your enterprise architects are the sharpshooters. They are the bridge between the strategic and operational sides of the business, and are responsible for the specific details necessary to connect all the dots. The enterprise architects must deal with IT non-compliance as well as speed of IT delivery, all while managing new technologies and capacities, seeking efficiencies and simplification, and leveraging IT to experiment and innovate.
- Your business architects are your negotiators. They are the mediators between IT and the business, breaking silos and aligning business strategy with digital transformation. Your business architects apply the board’s strategy, and need to educate, communicate, and align everything and everyone.
- Your business analysts are your executioners. These are the people on your team who help the business execute on strategic initiatives. They provide a holistic strategic business analysis, and pinpoint infrastructure needs and changes. The business analysts focus on time and costs to identify what change means in terms of business value.
- Your CIO is the commander. This person is focused on how IT drives enterprise strategy, innovation, and differentiation. It’s a customer-centric world - CIOs leverage technology to enhance business initiatives, and provide data and intelligence to other department managers to transform the business to be more customer focused.
It’s possible that these “Magnificent 5” are already working for your company. Gather them into a room immediately and let them build a digital business platform to enable the strategic transformation of your business. To help them get started, send them to the Gartner Enterprise Architecture & Technology Innovation Summit. Not only will they learn about all the latest trends and best practices, but MEGA will be there and we’ll be happy to meet with your magnificent 5 one-on-one to help create your roadmap to innovation.