Welcome to Blog EN - Business & IT Transformation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modern Day CIO

MEGA Helps CIO

CIO’s need immediate answers they can deliver to stakeholders and be able to quickly take on any potential issues. They need to have confidence in their choices and have the background details to explain why. They earned the spot at the executive table, and there is a reason for it.
But they are also human. They wake up in a bed, drink a cup a coffee in the morning, and after I am sure a long day at work come home to their family. So I started to imagine what an average week day for me would be if I put on the pants of a CIO….

Early Morning:

Beep, beep, beep.

Me: Darn, alarm! Is it 5 am already? Ok…I will hit snooze once and I’ll be up at 5:15 am

Beep, Beep, Beep.

Me: Ok, it is time to start the day. I have an hour before I need to get the kids up and ready for school. First things first. Time to get a cup of coffee.

Mmmm, this coffee taste like magic. Alright, time to really get the day started. First, I’ll check my email.

Yikes! Why did I take a look at emails? Ok, let’s take a few minutes to prioritize before I hop in the shower. It’s always nice to have the emergency emails answered in the morning and the other emails responded to by the end of the day.

11 am

Me: Ok, 5 meetings out of the way. Now to prep for the other 6….

What questions to expect for my 11:30?

They will be looking to see what a breakdown of how we categorize our application costs. Alright, time to open up my MEGA dashboards and give this a look.

MEGA Dashboard

Application Total Cost of Ownership

Now that I can see how the cost adds up for each of our applications, the team and I can determine which applications can be leveraged in our TIME evaluation.

Speaking of which, John will probably want to talk about the Business Value status breakdown that each application contributes based on the questionnaire results submitted thus far. After we get them all in, it’ll be easy to aggregate the results and determine where to move forward with an application.

Applications by Business Value

So it looks like we have a strong percentage that are application owner’s view as beneficial business value.

A few screen shots here, PowerPoint images there. Voila. I’m ready for the next meeting. Which is good, I have 20 minutes until it starts. This means I actually have time for lunch today!

1pm

Vacation Package Booking is a major process we are adding to our capabilities in the next few months. Let’s see if we put together a potential version of what the process will look like so I can share with the stakeholders. And I want to ensure we move forward with a standard template to be visible in all Standard Operating Procedures for training and continuous improvement initiatives.Business Process

Organizational Process

We should also develop a system process that will help create specifications of the software that will be required. Speaking of which, did we finish that system process for “SP-ST-Update Shopping Cart”? I want the team to model this to help us make sure we select the best software. Which reminds me, we will need to move forward in setting up meetings with vendors for our committee selection of that software. So let me query for it…

Query Bar

System Process

And did we finally drill down to our data view of our “Trip Packaging” model?

Dataflow

Perfect! This will support our conceptual view of our data model, identifying the key pieces of data needed to decipher if we have the proper systems in place for our day-to-day work.

3pm

For our monthly global strategy call, let me ensure we have all the proper visuals to accurately depict we are all in the same mindset regarding what we are looking to achieve. 

Strategic Model

7pm

Ok, I have a 30 minute drive before I get to the soccer field, and since the soccer game happens in rain or shine….and it’s pouring, I’m going to need a hot chocolate while I watch.

10:30 pm

Now that the game is over, dinner has been eaten, and the kids are in bed…it’s me time. I think I’ll check out that MEGA podcast the guys in the office have been talking about and then maybe update my Pinterest board.

Pinterest Board

Comment
MEGA

CIO’s need immediate answers they can deliver to stakeholders and be able to quickly take on any potential issues. They need to have confidence in their choices and have the background details to explain why. They earned the spot at the executive table, and there is a reason for it.
But they are also human. They wake up in a bed, drink a cup a coffee in the morning, and after I am sure a long day at work come home to their family. So I started to imagine what an average week day for me would be if I put on the pants of a CIO….

Early Morning:

Beep, beep, beep.

Me: Darn, alarm! Is it 5 am already? Ok…I will hit snooze once and I’ll be up at 5:15 am

Beep, Beep, Beep.

Me: Ok, it is time to start the day. I have an hour before I need to get the kids up and ready for school. First things first. Time to get a cup of coffee.

Mmmm, this coffee taste like magic. Alright, time to really get the day started. First, I’ll check my email.

Yikes! Why did I take a look at emails? Ok, let’s take a few minutes to prioritize before I hop in the shower. It’s always nice to have the emergency emails answered in the morning and the other emails responded to by the end of the day.

11 am

Me: Ok, 5 meetings out of the way. Now to prep for the other 6….

What questions to expect for my 11:30?

They will be looking to see what a breakdown of how we categorize our application costs. Alright, time to open up my MEGA dashboards and give this a look.

MEGA Dashboard

Application Total Cost of Ownership

Now that I can see how the cost adds up for each of our applications, the team and I can determine which applications can be leveraged in our TIME evaluation.

Speaking of which, John will probably want to talk about the Business Value status breakdown that each application contributes based on the questionnaire results submitted thus far. After we get them all in, it’ll be easy to aggregate the results and determine where to move forward with an application.

Applications by Business Value

So it looks like we have a strong percentage that are application owner’s view as beneficial business value.

A few screen shots here, PowerPoint images there. Voila. I’m ready for the next meeting. Which is good, I have 20 minutes until it starts. This means I actually have time for lunch today!

1pm

Vacation Package Booking is a major process we are adding to our capabilities in the next few months. Let’s see if we put together a potential version of what the process will look like so I can share with the stakeholders. And I want to ensure we move forward with a standard template to be visible in all Standard Operating Procedures for training and continuous improvement initiatives.Business Process

Organizational Process

We should also develop a system process that will help create specifications of the software that will be required. Speaking of which, did we finish that system process for “SP-ST-Update Shopping Cart”? I want the team to model this to help us make sure we select the best software. Which reminds me, we will need to move forward in setting up meetings with vendors for our committee selection of that software. So let me query for it…

Query Bar

System Process

And did we finally drill down to our data view of our “Trip Packaging” model?

Dataflow

Perfect! This will support our conceptual view of our data model, identifying the key pieces of data needed to decipher if we have the proper systems in place for our day-to-day work.

3pm

For our monthly global strategy call, let me ensure we have all the proper visuals to accurately depict we are all in the same mindset regarding what we are looking to achieve. 

Strategic Model

7pm

Ok, I have a 30 minute drive before I get to the soccer field, and since the soccer game happens in rain or shine….and it’s pouring, I’m going to need a hot chocolate while I watch.

10:30 pm

Now that the game is over, dinner has been eaten, and the kids are in bed…it’s me time. I think I’ll check out that MEGA podcast the guys in the office have been talking about and then maybe update my Pinterest board.

Pinterest Board