Welcome to Blog EN - Business & IT Transformation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IT Architecture: Lessons I learned from my childhood

hopex-release-it-architecture.jpg

As I build, design, and understand my IT architecture world, it is important I realize how each asset could impact one another. If I remove one block, does my structure still stand? Could I hurt a major piece of my structure? How can I transition one block in to remove an older, fading block? If I remove an application, who and what will be impacted?

I start to see all the connections. See how a functionality is realized by an application. See what software technologies support my application. See the infrastructure breakdown.

It’s really being able to see how a completed application system interaction is developed and taking a closer look at those exchanges.

Being able to model to the micro-service level; seeing that deployable software component.  

Even splitting an application according to technical criteria which helps me better understand that an application cannot work alone. That everything in the IT ecosystem is truly connected.

It’s the high stakes game of jenga.

And it’s not just what we currently have in our inventory. It’s what we as an organization want to drive towards and how we wish to enhance our exhibited capabilities and build towards it. If we see that an application has many supporting technologies moving towards obsolescence, is it better to move to the cloud or continue to support on-premise? While looking at this technical infrastructure supporting this application, can we look to enhance the application as well?

We can send out an ideation campaign and start to see the request and the ideas come forward. And by being part of the innovation management team, I can consider the current view of our architectural landscape and see if and how we can get it done.  What ideas should be candidates and how to prioritize what comes first. And how I can take my company to the next level of winning the transformation game. All while keeping that jenga tower intact.

And as I get older, I realize its not a bad thing to read the directions before dumping out all the blocks. Now, I read the back of the box to really understand what my toy, I mean tool, can really do.

Comment
MEGA

As I build, design, and understand my IT architecture world, it is important I realize how each asset could impact one another. If I remove one block, does my structure still stand? Could I hurt a major piece of my structure? How can I transition one block in to remove an older, fading block? If I remove an application, who and what will be impacted?

I start to see all the connections. See how a functionality is realized by an application. See what software technologies support my application. See the infrastructure breakdown.

It’s really being able to see how a completed application system interaction is developed and taking a closer look at those exchanges.

Being able to model to the micro-service level; seeing that deployable software component.  

Even splitting an application according to technical criteria which helps me better understand that an application cannot work alone. That everything in the IT ecosystem is truly connected.

It’s the high stakes game of jenga.

And it’s not just what we currently have in our inventory. It’s what we as an organization want to drive towards and how we wish to enhance our exhibited capabilities and build towards it. If we see that an application has many supporting technologies moving towards obsolescence, is it better to move to the cloud or continue to support on-premise? While looking at this technical infrastructure supporting this application, can we look to enhance the application as well?

We can send out an ideation campaign and start to see the request and the ideas come forward. And by being part of the innovation management team, I can consider the current view of our architectural landscape and see if and how we can get it done.  What ideas should be candidates and how to prioritize what comes first. And how I can take my company to the next level of winning the transformation game. All while keeping that jenga tower intact.

And as I get older, I realize its not a bad thing to read the directions before dumping out all the blocks. Now, I read the back of the box to really understand what my toy, I mean tool, can really do.